Body Language Experts

I love watching my dogs interact in a pack. I often video my dogs at training, at least I did especially when the younger ones started training.

Anyway I have a question on this poor weather day in my part of Australia.

When I voice praise my dogs for good behaviour, they lick their lips 9 times out of 10. Why?

No idea but with horses they say 'when they are licking they are thinking'.

Do you pair praise with food so they think food might be coming. :thumbsup:

Also I am no expert but I didn't want you to feel lonely. :thumbsup:

When I voice praise my dogs for good behaviour, they lick their lips 9 times out of 10. Why?

Could be the "Pavlov" theory.

Depending on early day (and even present day) training - pairing praise with food treats can, with repetition, produce a salivatory response. This is where the once meaningless stimuli (ie praise) has become a conditioned stimuli.

I must buy a book. Nervousness, excitement, trembling as the "praise" word means fun is coming. No idea, just pondering, while having fun in the house.

Dogs can teach us so much, by simple observation. Still trying to work my lot out. How I would love to able to read their minds.

K9: dogs groom their Alpha by "muzzling them", licking the lower part of the muzzle & jowels. Often dogs going into pack drive will lick their lips, as this is happening when your praising (giving a pack drive reward), I would suggest its that...

K9: dogs groom their Alpha by "muzzling them", licking the lower part of the muzzle & jowels. Often dogs going into pack drive will lick their lips, as this is happening when your praising (giving a pack drive reward), I would suggest its that...

Interesting. Looks a bit odd, and may I add, a little bit funny, when all five were sitting in front, licking their chomps or at the very least, their tongues were giving moving in their mouths.

Tongue licking is most commonly attributed to "calming signals" (ie the work done by Turid Rugaas) but the issue is that many of the behaviours change depending on other body characteristics (eg wagging tail doesn't always mean happy). Could mean different things but what is already mentioned probably covered the most likely - eg pack acknowledgement or an associated response/anticipation for a reward (eg thinking about a nice frothy beer has me licking my lips :thumbsup: ).