Bad Kelpie......teenage Behaviour

ShellyBeggs

***reposting from behaviour/training forum to get more help***

Hi everyone....

Its always been my preference to let my boys grow up a bit before they go get desexed....usually around 18mo.

however this weekend Anzac my 7mo kelpie has decided he wants to go wandering.....in the past when he has headed toward the gate or fenceline I have given a whistle and he has come straight back happy as larry.....this weekend he would turn and look at me and then keep going. He was nearly run over twice and followed a car 3km up the road.

He is also displaying other bad teenage behaviour........not sitting when told, not coming when called, not eating his meal, refusing treats, more destructive than ever, yanked so hard on the lead that he broke his leather collar (and almost my arm) and now a simple Arghhhh isn't enough to stop his naughty behaviour or thoughts of naughty behaviour..where before it was...I now have to get up and go to him to stop him climbing on tables/benches or up the wall unit.

He is getting plenty of exercise.....(even after a 2hr brisk walk he still came back full of naughty thoughts) and lots of interaction and attention of which he is choosing to ignore.....

so do I go against what I usually do and send him in for a snip snip......or try and ride out the naughty teenage behaviour????

any other thoughts on his sudden behaviour swing?

or another option is to lock him in a bedroom with the lights out and play loud heavy metal music and get him a tattoo and nose ring to go with his 'bad' teenage attitude ??? :happydance2:

Desexing is not a substitute for training, your dog appears to be walking all over you and doing as he pleases and I doubt that desexing will alter his behaviour. I suggest that you do some research into leadership, at the moment your dog thinks that he is the boss and is behaving accordingly.

Teenage dogs are like teenage kids.. discipline, discipline and more discipline.. combined with distraction and entertainment and schooling..

Any reason why you leave your Kelpie so long before the snip, I was of the belief that they are basically past their large growth stage at around 6-12 months?? :thumbsup: Our are always done (if not for stock breeding on farm) done at 6-9 months with absolutely no ill effects... they get their working head on and settle brilliantly..

I have to run my Kelpie cross for at least an hour per day in addition to a 30 minute walk to school... When she is on the farm she runs herself over 10kms per day easily... here I take her down the park with a ball slinger and throw it constantly for an hour, constantly keeping her on the run or trot for 60-90 minutes.. it does aliviate the destructive and naughty behaviour.. for a while at least..

And there is the constant and consistent discipline and training.. they are still puppies and can be very naughty.. And as Miranda has said, remember you are the boss, not the dog.. you have to be in charge and they have to know it.. Kelpies are very, very smart dogs.. and if they see a chink in the armour.. there goes the training.. Dont go to him for the attention and interaction make him come to you and ask for it and then only give it out when you are ready... he thinks he is the Alpha in your unit from the sounds of it.

Good Luck.. personally I would get the snip and raise the training and activity level a notch..

Edited by Doghouse

My kelpie girl went through a stage of doing what she pleased - I felt that she would do things for me only if she thought there was something in it for her. We persisted with training and leadership, and got through it - now I have a more close relationship with her than I've had with a dog for many years.