Tracking And Retrieving?

I'm going to get a Weimaraner soon and although the pup hasn't even been born, I've got big plans for him :thumbsup:

I know about Obedience, agility, flyball, frisbee ect and have done courses in that as well. But as I'm getting a little Hunter things like tracking and retrieving are mentioned.

Now my questions:

Tracking means you lay a track and the dog has to find an article, rigth? And the article could be anything? Is there a Tracking Club around Brisbane (preferbly North Brisbane/Caboolture area) where I can go and have a look at that?

With retrieving I'm not sure at all what it means. :thumbsup: Does it mean I shoot something and the dog is going to get it or is the dog going to get something which is still alive? How is this handled her in regards to laws (do I need a weapons licence ect)? If somebody could explain this to me or maybe even point me to a club or something to have a look at that would be great! Thanks!

I'm going to get a Weimaraner soon and although the pup hasn't even been born, I've got big plans for him :thumbsup:

I know about Obedience, agility, flyball, frisbee ect and have done courses in that as well. But as I'm getting a little Hunter things like tracking and retrieving are mentioned.

Now my questions:

Tracking means you lay a track and the dog has to find an article, rigth? And the article could be anything? Is there a Tracking Club around Brisbane (preferbly North Brisbane/Caboolture area) where I can go and have a look at that?

With retrieving I'm not sure at all what it means. :thumbsup: Does it mean I shoot something and the dog is going to get it or is the dog going to get something which is still alive? How is this handled her in regards to laws (do I need a weapons licence ect)? If somebody could explain this to me or maybe even point me to a club or something to have a look at that would be great! Thanks!

Tracking - Dogs often track people as well as articles.

Retrieving - Dog goes away from handler and finds something (dead game, tennis ball) and brings it back to the handler. Retrieving training is done with training dummies (bumpers) or tennis balls etc. Hunters use this training in the field to recover game (ducks, quail, rabbits) that they have shot. Retrieving does NOT involve anything still alive. If you intend to shoot anything, then you will need a gun licence etc, but might I suggest this sounds like it could be someway off. For now I'd focus learning a bit more about each of these activities and deciding which of them really interest you. Getting a firearm and a firearm licence (and the required safe etc) requires quite a bit of time and money and isn't something to rush into. Don't worry, there's plenty of training you can do with your Wei without needing a gun.

As for clubs in the Brisbane area, go to the CCCQ website, download the pdf list of "Affiliated Kennel Clubs", this contains a number of retrieving clubs (under the heading Field Trial) and also Tracking Clubs.

Best of luck with the new pup. If you need any further help getting started in field work with your Wei post again, if I don't reply PM me as I don't always find time to check DOL

Hi. If you decide to do both I would do tracking first as it may prevent problems of the dog wanting to go chase wildlife instead of the person.

Have a search for Longweis kennels, their dogs are great workers and they have a few dual champions

Thanks for your reply! I think I put it a bit bluntly. Sorry about that! I actually do have a firearm licence, so I know how hard it is to get one and I was just wondering about this, maybe there'd be special rules for hunters or so. I'm not planning to go around shooting things so the Weim can retrieve it! I was just wondering if you really do it with game or if there're other ways and there obviously are different possibilities which appeal much more to me than involving dead animals. I'm also a bit concerned that when they really go game hunting that they might be more into chasing live animals to kill while on walks or in the backyard. I've been told by a lot of Weim owners here in Australia that they'll do that anyway but my German friends with their Weims said that a Weim is not allowed to go and kill something. As you see I'm still learning. I'll have a look at the CCCQ website and hopefully find a Tracking and Retrieving Club so I can have a look beforehand and decided if I'd like to do that. Thanks again for your help!

oceanaussi, if you decide to compete in retrieving trials, you never actually shoot anything. You do need a firearms licence but all you do is 'fire' a primer from a shotgun. The birds are already humanely killed. I suggest visiting this site and their forum for information on retrieving trials in Australia http://www.australianworkingretrievercentral.org.au/

You might also notice on the forum that a club in QLD recently sought permission to use rubber docken instead of pigeons at trials, and was not allowed. There are far more politics behind the whole thing than I know of (as there seems to be in any sport), it is a bit of a contentious issue.

I can't help you with the retrieving side, but I agree with Helen, I'd probably do the tracking first.

For a great tracking link go to Tracking Club of Victoria and there is heaps of good info. If you are based in Vic I'd highly recommend joining. They have a weekend workshop around April each year and several workshop days during the year to get people started. You need to book early for the weekend workshop as it books out quickly.

Congratulations to you too Rakaaz, knew I would be hearing that news very soon (her girl just became a tracking champion - woohoo)

Chazer did a trial recently and stopped and went hunting 30-50m from the tracklayer, there were tonnes of rabbit holes at the end.

We had a judge who happens to have gundogs and paid an article indication on that track that most judges would have waited for. The track went through bush then on to paddock, the article was in the paddock about 50m away from us. Chazer pointed the article then charged forward to flush it. I hadn't seen the article until he pointed then charged for it, I wandered what on earth he was doing LOL. He also stopped at the article so did a proper indication but the judge paid the point - it was funny once I realised it was actually the article he had found.

Edited by helen

Thanks Helen! :laugh: I still can't believe how quickly she got through it. Pretty happy I don't need to go to the Ballarat trial this weekend, I will appreciate a little sleep in and staying warm!!!

Will still keep training with her though as she loves it, and start working on who I'm going to track next year.

Good luck to you if you're on in Ballarat. :laugh:

oceanassi,

I have been trying to think of someone who competes in retrieving and tracking trials. At least in Victoria.

Nope cannot think of anyone!!!!. As you have already mentioned, you plan to go and observe. Have fun. IMHO retrieving trials are the most difficult of the canine sport games available.

I have known a couple of people that have competed in Retrieving and tracking, however not got far in retrieving. Jackie Duffy in QLD has a Lab with Retieving, Tracking and Obedience Champion titles!! Where does she find the time!!!!