Ligaments

In addition to rest what else can be done to assist in the repair of the ligaments. My puppy has injured the ligaments in his elbow, being a manic with his playmate. He is 7 months old and I was wondering if there is a supplement or anything else that may be suggested.

Cheers

In addition to rest what else can be done to assist in the repair of the ligaments. My puppy has injured the ligaments in his elbow, being a manic with his playmate. He is 7 months old and I was wondering if there is a supplement or anything else that may be suggested.

Cheers

HI

I'm surprised there have been no responses :rofl:

I've never really experienced any kind of ligament damage to any of my dogs - but try these guys Big Dog Pet Foods.

Chris Essex - is the head honcho and is a really lovely guy, they are Greyhound people and I'm sure have come across some ligament or muscle damage in the past.

I buy cartons and cartons of food from there to feed the tribe but they also have lots of supplements and additives and gadets and doo-dads, even special blankets and mats for muscle problems. He has even given me whole tubs of suplements, etc to just "Try Out" :eek:

If you give him a call and have a chat, I'm quite sure he might be able to recommend something for you or at the very least, point you in the right direction.

All the best.

Keeping your dog lean is helpful- less weight through joints and ligaments. High quality food, but less of it now he's less active :) .

Sorry, am not sure re. supplements etc. that might be helpful. Sasha's bland and Jointguard are usually only recommended for joints, not ligaments.

Do you know if the ligaments are actually partially torn or are they strained. This will make a difference in what choices you have.

For the time being, strict crate rest with only on lead outside toilet breaks.

Can you tell us more about it...since you say elbows then you're talking about front legs, right? Give us more info and see if we can suggest a few things.

I've had my dog with ligament problems but they were knees, so hind legs. I've also had elbow problems BUT they were cause by a muscle in the shoulder going into spasm and the silly vet got it wrong.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I thought for the first time no one had anything to offer so I hadn't checked.

I will call the greyhound man Thank you.

In respect to where all my vet told me was he was tender in the elbow area, and yes it is his front right leg. As I am not familiar with the dog soft tissue

bits and pieces it is hard for me to tell you exactly where, but on his elbow. He has been on anit inflammtories for 9 days now and it does not seem to be getting any better. I would love to book him into some sort of Animal health retreat as the crying breaks my heart and I let him out of the crate and he then runs around like a mad man with the 6 month old bitch. I know I know keep him in the crate, but that is why I am asking for other suggestions in addition to the crating.

Thanks everyone.

Our 10 month old girl was limping on her left front leg (she's a lab x golden retriever x shepherd rescue pup). We checked her foot, her pads, between her toes etc and couldn't find anything so we took her to the vet. He checked her over and found soreness (a reaction from her) in her elbow.

He said that at her age and because she's a large dog (39kgs) it could just be a number of things, like the bones growing at different rates, elbow dysplasia, a torn or pulled ligament or a pulled muscle. She wrestles like a bloke with her brother :).

So on his advice we had an xray and ultrasound done just to rule out any nasties and/or get appropriate treatment if there was. Thankfully, the results were all good and he suspects it was a ligament. He prescribed bed rest (yeah right) and Metacam (anti inflamatory).

That was two weeks ago and she's absolutely fine now and has her brother in a half-Nelson as I type.

I know what you mean Benny with the bed rest :):laugh: :D Like how can that happen when his playmate is 5 week younger then him. He has been on is anti inflammatories for 10 days now and appears to be no better but no worse. I took the advise of one of the DOL's and got in contact with the Big Dog people here in Brissie and took him with me for them to have a look at as they specalise in Greyhounds and I value the advise of perfomance dog people.

Well he stretched, not over doing it, and he pulled and he said there was no reaction there, pain wise and that it may all be in his head seeing he is getting attention from all of it. But to be on the safe side I will have it x-rayed next week when I see the vet and see how he goes from there.

Thanks once again everyone.

Cheers