Small Brag

My bitch won best novice in a Field Trial on the weekend. We were fortunate b/c the warm dry conditions in WA effected her stamina, but the first part of her run was stunning, everything a top class setter should be. Have to work on improving her warm weather endurance. It was only her second trial, so very pleased her performance.

Edited by Working_Setters

Have to work on improving her warm weather endurance. It was only her second trial, so very pleased her performance.

Oooohhh ............. then it will be mandatory that you visit WA and maybe other more northern regions such as upper QLD on a regular basis for "training purposes" :D

Well done on your success :rofl:

Congrats! :vomit::vomit::rofl:

Sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone know any field training clubs in Brisbane area?

How do you train your dog for field trials? Is there a book you would recommend?

Edited by laffi

Does this give her points towards a FC title??

No. It was an Open Trial, which we did not win, but rather were awarded best novice dog. As 3/4 of the field were novice dogs it was pleasing win. I'm not certain, but I don't think winning a novice trial gives points toward the title either. I'm pretty sure you have to win open trials against the big boys to get the points. Unlike RTs there aren't even "stepping stone" titles such as NRD, or RRD along the way in FTs. There is a QC (Qualifying Certificate) title, but that is gained by meeting the criteria of a written standard, rather than beating other dogs in competition.

FTs are a tough way to gain titles, and understandably daunting for new comers, it can be many years before you get the dog and the knowledge to beat the guys that have been competing for decades!!

Sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone know any field training clubs in Brisbane area?

How do you train your dog for field trials? Is there a book you would recommend?

The trials I attend with my dogs are only open to Pointers/Setters (or sometimes they are open to all pointing breeds). Are you wanting info on these types of trials, or field trials open to flushing breeds (eg retrievers and spaniels)? There are some FTs for flushing breeds, but retrieving trials are far more common.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx from Julie and the boring labs.

Hi Julie,

There's nothing boring about you or your labs!! You're an innovative thinker, responsible for the introduction of a number of training techniques and training aids to this country. Yank maybe many things, but for certain one of them isn't boring!! He's definitely an "edge of the seat" type of dog.

There are several that regularly hold RTs and occassionally FTs. PM me if you'd like their details.

How do you train your dog for field trials?

Using much the same principles as you use to train a dog to do anything else.

Is there a book you would recommend?

Gundogs - Training and Field Trials by P.R.A. Moxon would be an excellent place to start IMO for any of the British breeds (Pointers/Setters/most Retrievers/Spaniels). There are better books for the Utility breeds.

No. It was an Open Trial, which we did not win, but rather were awarded best novice dog. As 3/4 of the field were novice dogs it was pleasing win.

:(:mad Fatastic! Were there many other Setters there??

I'm not certain, but I don't think winning a novice trial gives points toward the title either. I'm pretty sure you have to win open trials against the big boys to get the points. Unlike RTs there aren't even "stepping stone" titles such as NRD, or RRD along the way in FTs. There is a QC (Qualifying Certificate) title, but that is gained by meeting the criteria of a written standard, rather than beating other dogs in competition.

Not terribly encouraging for newbies :rofl: I know in the Utility Field trials that 1st or 2nd in a Novice trial does give you Champ points as Polo's Daddy has one point from the trial he did last year :mad I have no idea what's involved but they also offer NFD titles for the Utility breeds!

FTs are a tough way to gain titles, and understandably daunting for new comers, it can be many years before you get the dog and the knowledge to beat the guys that have been competing for decades!!

I bet!!! :mad

xxxxxxxxxxxxx from Julie and the boring labs.

Hi Julie,

There's nothing boring about you or your labs!! You're an innovative thinker, responsible for the introduction of a number of training techniques and training aids to this country. Yank maybe many things, but for certain one of them isn't boring!! He's definitely an "edge of the seat" type of dog.

:(

Wow - congratulations Rob - that's a fantastic achievement. I would have loved to come to the trial, but ended up unwell that day. Pity, if I'd known you were going to be in WA, I could have introduced you to my monsters hehe :(

My bitch won best novice in a Field Trial on the weekend. We were fortunate b/c the warm dry conditions in WA effected her stamina, but the first part of her run was stunning, everything a top class setter should be.

:( CONGRATULATIONS ROB!!! What a great achievement.

It was only her second trial, so very pleased her performance.

That's awesome for only her 2nd trial.

Any photos? :laugh:

There were a couple of people there with cameras, so I'm sure some pics will find there way onto the net in due course, however I'm unaware of any being available to the general public just yet.

However there are some excellent pics and well written articles of very similar trials, with many of the same competitors, available HERE and another HERE

Edited by Working_Setters