When Do Pups Open Their Eyes

Miss Monster

My breeder had a litter of 12 Ridgeback puppies 1 1/2 weeks ago... We went down to see them at 1 week old, but I don't want to drive her nuts by visiting constantly... :eek:

So I was wondering:

*when do they open their eyes

*start walking around

*start showing personalities

She is going to allocate the pups once they are 8 weeks old so we don't know if we are getting a boy or girl yet - either way it will be a show dog... :)

Thanks

I believe (in order of your post)

about 7 days

about 10-14 days

about 6 weeks?

Someone with a bit more knowledge will probably come here and shoot everything I just said out of the water...

Have you asked your breeder? She should know.

*when do they open their eyes

usually from about 10 days onwards, thought my vet did a c-section on a bitch recently and one of the pups had the eyes already open!!

*start walking around - my litter is now 4 weeks old and they are walking properly, it has taken a couple of weeks to learn the balance and that wagging your tail makes you fall over!

*start showing personalities

From 4 weeks onwards the personalities start to show more and more

Thanks guys... I was going to ask my breeder but she'd tell me not to be silly and that I can come down any time - but everytime we go down there we are there for hours so I don't want to be too intrusive - especially in the early weeks as I've read from some of the breeders on here that it can be a very tiring time with sup feeds etc.

I'll go see them next week so that'll be 3 weeks then I'll go again at 5 weeks & I'll probably want to go again before I pick it up lol!

6 weeks & 4 days to go! Here is a pic of the boy I got cuddles with... So cute!

post-16904-1184151944_thumb.jpg

Edited by Russ_Ren

Their is a thought that puppies eyes open so many days after conception.

Sorry I have forgotten the exact number of days.

Some breeds are more forwards in walking than others. Sometimes it also

depends on how fat they are.

Personalities can be from four to three weeks.

When my bitch had puppies there were a few late bloomers but all eyes were opened by about 10-14 days, they were walking by about 3 weeks old and their personalities came thru not long after.

As for possibly annoying the owner of the bitch and her pups I wouldnt be too concerned! I loved when the future owner of HoneyChild's pups came to visit it made me feel better getting to know the person and knowing where the little munchkin was going to.

Personally I think you have a very tolerant breeder. I usually will not allow anyone to visit until after 4 weeks of age. I don't think it is fair on the bitch. They are often very protective at that stage and numerous visitors is one way to put them off their job. And really there is nothing much to see before that time - they are just little fat blobs who do not want to do anything but feed. By 4 weeks they are up on their feet, feeding well and starting to show some personality. I do post regular photos on my webpage for people to see how the litter is progressing. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old bag, but I do have a family and busy life of my own. I was probably more giving when I started out breeding.

Thanks Badboyz, I had offered to help her supp feed etc as she had 12 puppies and knew that her girl only has 6 working teats? Maybe that is why she let me go down. I don't think anyone else except her bitch's breeder has been around.... Her girl was a bit wary at first but as long as she could still see her babies she was fine.

it has taken a couple of weeks to learn the balance and that wagging your tail makes you fall over!

:happydance2: :cool: :)

That's hilarious! Poor little pups!

They'd be like "Ok, I'm up, I'm standing, now...come on legs...you can do it...one step, two steps, woohoo! Look at me Mum! I'm walking! Woah look at me go!" *pup gets excited and so wags his tail* "Ohhh sh*t I'm down again!"

:):):rofl:

it has taken a couple of weeks to learn the balance and that wagging your tail makes you fall over!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's hilarious! Poor little pups!

They'd be like "Ok, I'm up, I'm standing, now...come on legs...you can do it...one step, two steps, woohoo! Look at me Mum! I'm walking! Woah look at me go!" *pup gets excited and so wags his tail* "Ohhh sh*t I'm down again!"

:):eek: :p

bahahahaha so so true! if only they stayed that silly id be entertained for life...altho my 3 are pretty ridiulous most of the time!

I have a litter of 3 poms here who are 17 days old (Born a week premature), and their eyes arent open yet.

I have a litter of 3 spitz babies at the moment, 11days old.

The smallest has her eyes open and is already standing and all be it very shakey on her legs is walking!

the middle one has her eyes half open, and is up and trying to walk around, and the biggest one, is the lazy one! she doesn't want to see the world just yet!!! I'd give her another day or two!!! :laugh:

Went and saw them on thursday... eyes are open and they are so adorable - breeder sent me some stacked photos at 3 weeks... well mostly stacked :rolleyes:

We know that we are getting a boy but wont know which one until 8 weeks. This is 4 out of the 5 possibilities.

post-16904-1185340878_thumb.jpg

post-16904-1185340885_thumb.jpg

post-16904-1185340895_thumb.jpg

post-16904-1185340901_thumb.jpg