Crate Training

Crate training is a game you can play to teach dogs to go into their crates, they learn to love the crates, all my dogs are crate trained, i use it to teach self control, a great way to teach stays.

How i train it:-

Building Value

start with dog on lead some real yummy treats, and a clicker(if you use one) stand in front of crate with door open, when dog looks at crate click and reward, remembering to place the reward close to the opening of the door, do this a few times and then wait to see if dog looks at crate, if it looks on its own c&r, do this a few times then wait for the dog to move closer to crtae, still clicking and rewarding, eventually you work until the dog offers to go inside the crate, this may or may not occur in the first couple sessions.

Once the dog is in the crate i open the door and feed the dog at the top back of the crate this step is important as it teaches dog the the rewards are at the back, i do this five times then i will open door if dog goes to come out i just shut the door and then go back to the 5 rewards at top back of crate, then i open the door and pause if the dog choses to stay in he gets rewarded at top back of crate again, then i shut the door and repeat this step a few times, if dog chooses to stay i will then click on the lead, and reward at back of crate if dog gfoes to come out when you clip the lead on i just shut thedoor. and then go back to the first stage, it doesn't take long for the dog to realise that staying in the crate will earn him a reward, once you can click the lead on with the door open i will then releasew the dog, with his/her release word. i keep my foot on the lead once the dog is out i don't reward him i just wait they usually always offer to go back into the crate i then reward at the back of the crate 5 times again. and start from the beginning of this stage again.

Once the dog is running back into crate i then cue Crate as they head towards the door, and start adding distance and geting dogs to drive into crate from different angles to see if they can find the entrance, always rewarding for going into crate, and then releasing you can add distance if dog stays go back and reward add distractions of toys being thrown near other dogs and people walking near always rewarding if dog chooses to stay in the crate and releasing for reward either toy or food.

Hope this helps

I think it is fantastic for pups. It helps with toilet training and also a great place to put a pup to sleep.

You can use the wire type or the more enclosed airline type.

The previous description sounds like alot of work.....

I basically put the pup in with its dinner and it learns pretty quick that it is its place of confinement. As it gets older, you can leave the door open and it goes in there for sleep.

My adults never get crated anymore but it is handy that they know how to be for when we go away, or in season, or illness etc etc.

I have 3 crates.

Each dog has been crated since we bought them home.

That is there bed, we put them in for short periods during the day. if they carried on they were ignored and when quiet, let out.

Have not had any issues. They get treats when they go to bed and i can say go to bed and they both run into their crates.

I think feeding them in there when they are pups is great and getting them used to it.

I would not do as bordacollies4me did unless i had a stressed ouot adult that needed to be crate trained.

Thanks for that. Is it like one of these flight crates? Do they sleep in there as well?

yes it sounds like a lot of work but it is done in short training sessions, and i don't do it all at once it is a game i continually play with my dogs great for rainy days, i use it as a valuble tool for teaching start line stays and self control.

When i first get my new puppy i just put it straight in the crate i usually feed them in the crate and yes as a puppy it will sleep in their at night and when i am not able to monitor its play time, as adult dogs all mine love their crates will quite often prefer to sleep in them rather than anywhere else they are set up in the lounge room and it is their choice, but i also have a command which i can use to send them to their crates and they will gladly go find them. There is a great article in the Clean Run puppy issue, which can be purchased at www.agilityclick.com explains it alot better than i have.

Makes a lot of sense crate training. Glad, I've learnt about it. Just a few more questions:

Where do I get the crates from?

Which size? I've got a Kelpie and she has a Vari Kennel Size L. She wasn't allowed to fly into Australia with that as they said it's too small (but she did flew all over Europe in it). Now I'm getting a Weimaraner which is a much bigger dog, do I need an XXL then? :thumbsup: I might need to buy a new car then as well... Could somebody explain to me how I measure for the right crate? Thank you!

Makes a lot of sense crate training. Glad, I've learnt about it. Just a few more questions:

Where do I get the crates from?

Which size? I've got a Kelpie and she has a Vari Kennel Size L. She wasn't allowed to fly into Australia with that as they said it's too small (but she did flew all over Europe in it). Now I'm getting a Weimaraner which is a much bigger dog, do I need an XXL then? :thumbsup: I might need to buy a new car then as well... Could somebody explain to me how I measure for the right crate? Thank you!

most crates can be bought from local pet shops or online through e-bay, i would suggest the wire crates or the vari kennel like you have the soft crates are good and light as well, but i have dogs and known dogs who just claw through the mesh on the front to escape, see if you can get the clean run puupy book has some great articles, not just for teaching agility but general games you can play with puppies, as well as a great article on crate training

Which size? I've got a Kelpie and she has a Vari Kennel Size L. She wasn't allowed to fly into Australia with that as they said it's too small (but she did flew all over Europe in it). Now I'm getting a Weimaraner which is a much bigger dog, do I need an XXL then? :happydance2: I might need to buy a new car then as well... Could somebody explain to me how I measure for the right crate? Thank you!

Crates should be at least big enough for the dog to stand up, turn round, stretch, and lie flat out on his side. IMO there is no "maximum" size for an adult dog's crate, it all depends on your and the dog's preference.

My stafford has one M size crate and one XXL. We use the medium for sleeping in at home, and taking on holiday (it fits in the car!) I keep the XXL for when we visit my parents, as since they do not have a fenced yard, I sometimes have to leave him crated for hours at a time, and so I like him being able to really move around in that crate. He likes them both just fine. :cool:

If you're training a pup, you should have quite a small crate to facilitate housebreaking. You don't want the pup being able to decide to poo on one side of the crate and sleep on the other! If you want to buy a big crate right off, you can get crate dividers to make it smaller for a puppy at first, until it is housebroken.

I have 2x 32" crates for my two and a 42" crate.

Hunta and Mitch were both trained in teh smaller crates and now Hunta is int eh 42" crate as she is too big for the 32".

I am getting a gsd pup in october hopefully and he wil be in the 32" to start with then the 42" which i will get a divider for until he is older adn uses the whole crate.

There is a place in MElbourne that sells the 42" crate for $99. it is the collapsible one not a pin drop one. Fantastic value.