Bad Behaviour (dobermen)

Well,

I got bitten by a dog for the first time on tuesday :laugh:

My new boyfriend that I've been with for 2 months, has moved back in with his parents, 3 weeks ago.

I've been to his parents place about 10 times in the past 3 weeks, His parents have a female dobermen 4yrs old and a min poodle boy thats 3 yrs old.

When I first went there I found out they dont like strangers, So i entered slowly etc etc etc....Each time I went out of my Bf's bedroom they would come up barking (no growling). But then realse it was just me, The poodle would come up to me anytime but the dobermen would only if i was with my bf or sitting in the lounge room with someone, for a pat, but wouldnt come up for a pat if it was just me.

Well, I went there Tuesday got in the front door and then the Dobermen got up off the lounge, I was standing for about 5mins talking to my bf's mum, turned around to go to the toilet and then all of a sudden the dobermen bite me on my back of my topper leg......it hurt sooo much!

I've been there 4 times since Tuesday, each time, she growls at me, I cant walk out of my bf's room by myself if shes around she comes running for me.

Their poodle is fine with me now always comes up to me for pats, but I wont pat him infront of her anymore im just too scared.

I walk my dog each morning (have a female rottweiler) and If i see another person walking a dog....I crap myself and walk the totally oppisite way...I met my aunties resuce staffy yesterday that shes had for 1month that gets really excited when seeing people and ran straight up to me and I was so fearfull!

Whats the best option to get my bfs parents dobermen to like me? to not growl at me or not want to bite me?

Is there a way to tell yourself that not every dog is going to go for me? ... i know dogs arent all bad, Ive had small and big dogs my whole life, just having a really hard time to even go near or see another dog :D

Thanks for reading :p

Emma

Emma - sorry to hear of the bite you took and I hope you're ok.

This dog needs help. Your BF's parents need to seek the advice of a behaviourist and quickly - it's his owners that are the most likely cause of the problem. I am surprised that after all these warnings the Dobe gave, no-one in your BF's family stepped in to prevent it escalating to the behaviour that it has.

You need to meet with as many known friendly dogs as possible. Dogs that people will and can competently control in a way that you can feel more confident. Join your Rotty up with a reputable dog school. This will double in purpose - it will be good for your Rotty girl, and good for you.

Unless your BF's family take steps to have the Dobe in question under control when you are around so that this event cannot repeat itself, I'd be inclined to suggest you don't go there.

Edited by Erny

They werent impressed with her at all.

They cant put her outside when I get there yet...as their back fence isn't up.

I got to tell them this, because I can't handle going there anymore.

Thanks guys

They werent impressed with her at all.

I hope they consider that their dog's behaviour is a reflection on their relationship with her and that these unsociable behaviours seen in dogs are mostly because of the way humans communicate with them. I hope they care enough to take steps to learn how to 'speak' more clearly with their dog, so that she can become a less agitated and a less stressed dog than what she presently is.

It is what we do around our dogs that causes the conflict within dogs and thus we need to change the things we do. Your BF's parents need help to know what to do to bring about the changes and so they may 'speak' dog more fluently and in a way that their dog understands them.

I hope your BF's parents care enough about their dog to seek to work out the conflicts they have caused in their relationship with this girl.

When I hear of these cases, I can't help myself from feeling unimpressed with the dogs' owners, rather than the dog itself.

Good luck Emzy and stay safe. Insist that you won't be put into a situation where you can be bullied and/or bitten by this dog. If the dog bites again, they won't have done any favours to you, the dog, the dog's breed or dogs in general.

Edited by Erny

As a Dobermann owner this is very upsetting to me.

Can you print this topic and get them to read it? If they are not prepared to keep visitors safe I would be ditching the boyfriend and explaining why.

I wish you could meet my Dobe, they are not normally like this dog.

As a Dobermann owner this is very upsetting to me.

Can you print this topic and get them to read it? If they are not prepared to keep visitors safe I would be ditching the boyfriend and explaining why.

I wish you could meet my Dobe, they are not normally like this dog.

Ditto! And Erny has met my dobe, I think he's about as likely to bite someone as a sheep is :rofl: If I were you I would be very mad at both the parents and the bf for putting me in that situation and then doing nothing about it to fix it! And it does show that those people not only have no control over their dog, but that the dog is stressed, as Erny said, and doesn't know it's plack in the pack

Just told my bf over the phone all this and then I hung up on him because after all i said he asked if i wanted to come over for a visit tonight....no thank you! Told him to tell his parents everything I said and get back to me .... if they are not willing to pay to help her problem...him and his family are not worth my stress....So Waiting for feedback at the moment.

Yeah they walk her daily...but only walk her at night time (normally around 9-10pm) i guess because there is no other dogs around at that time of the night?! Shes a inside dog the rest of the time...

I understand that its the owners.....thats why I said I know not all dogs are bad :rofl:....Makes me worry even more as the grandkids (5 of them) are aged from 6yrs til 12yrs....what if she gets annoyed one day and decides to bite them even?!!! :rofl:

EDIT: said my gf instead of bf :rofl:

Edited by Emzy

Erny has met my dobe, I think he's about as likely to bite someone as a sheep is :rofl:

:rofl: Compared with RB's dog, sheep would terrify me. Mr. Sooky La La dobe that he is :eek::rofl:.

Emzy - I hope it all works out. IMO anyone who is afraid of being bitten (and there is no shame in that) deserves the respect from others to take sufficient control of their dog for the sake of confidence of that person, regardless of whether their own dog is friendly or not. Even if a dog IS friendly, when a person is worried/concerned/frightened/uncertain of a dog, we can't help but to emit signals of our discomfort to a dog. So taking control - regardless of "friendly dog" or not, is not only the least we can do to show respect and consideration to that person, but is also a good and pro-active consideration for the dog.

I hope your BF and his family show you the respect I speak of - it is no matter that they might not agree, that's not the point.

Good for you for exhibiting calm assertion. Sounds to me like you have more of a making of a 'pack' leader than what your BF's parents have shown their dog to date.

Makes me worry even more as the grandkids (5 of them) are aged from 6yrs til 12yrs....what if she gets annoyed one day and decides to bite them even?!!! :rofl:

Very scarey thought - the possibility of this sort of tragedy in the waiting is not going to prove to be a good outcome for the people concerned nor the dog ................... nor, for that matter, for the dog's owners.

Edited by Erny

Just told my bf over the phone all this and then I hung up on him because after all i said he asked if i wanted to come over for a visit tonight....no thank you!

The end of a beautiful friendship, perhaps?????????????

Remember generally men can only think of one thing at a time. Have patience - they may see the light regarding having the dog evaluated.

In the meantime, as the road to love can be rocky - take a crate over with a large bone, when visiting.