Language In Competitions

I'm German and I trained my dog in German. As she's a crossbred she wasn't allowed to enter formal competitions anyway. Towards the end of the year, I'm getting a purebred Weimaraner who I'd like to enter competitions with.

Is it true that in these competions all your commands have to be in English?

You could, if you wanted to, compete with your crossbred dog. You'd need to register it as an Associate Dog with the CCCQ (after this dog, no other crossbred you own could be registered) and then you can compete in agility, obedience, tracking etc. ADDA agility does not require CCCQ registration, nor do sports like flyball and canine disc.

ANKC Obedience Rules (PDF)

Page 10 says "All verbal commands must be in the English Language unless approved otherwise by the Judge."

Edited by molasseslass

I was under the impression that as long as you spoke to the judge prior and gave him/her a list of the commands that you would be using that it wasn't a problem. Would pay to find out if there is any chance you could get told you must use English commands after seeking approval from the judge though.

Use of German commands in not unknown, specially those who use training in drive. An obedience judge mentioned it at a clinic we did at our club.

The rule book says

All verbal commands must be in the English Language unless approved otherwise by

the Judge.

Personally I'd train with English commands in case you didn't get approval from a judge!

As everyone else has said, the rules state that all commands must be in English unless approved by the judge, however I know of one person currently trialling here in Qld who uses german commands for his dog & has had no problems.

ETA - he isnt german, the dog wasn't trained in german by someone else originally or anything like that, he just likes to use german commands, so there's no compelling reason that he uses german it's just his choice & he hasnt had a problem.

Also as Molasseslass mentioned, you are able to trial your crossbred now, so get in there & have a go if you feel like it :laugh: :D

Edited by MrsD

Thanks very much for your replies! Well, I'm German, it's going to be a German dog, would have been nice to speak to him in German as well... Will be funny when I walk with both of them and have to give 2 sets of commands :D

The German language sounds 'tougher' and therefore is great for dog training. But if it might not be accepted I'm better off teaching him English. Now, I will have to find a good book about the competition standards and the words they use. :laugh: Any recommendations?

That you can enter a crossbred in a competition must be new. When Hera was doing obedience and agility she wasn't allowed to. :p And she was so good at agility - faster than every BC at the Club - unstopable. Unfortunately she's now 8 years old and had an operation due to HD therefore I don't want her to enter any competitions - she wouldn't be up for it as she cannot do everything anymore.

The associate register came into being in Qld 2 years ago from memory, so yes, fairly recent. Sorry to hear that your doggie isnt able to get out there anymore :D . As for commands you can use whatever words you want as long as it's a single word, most commonly people use heel, stand, drop, stay, wait, come etc.

If you want to read the rules for obedience, you can find them HERE .

Hope that helps :laugh: .

The associate register came into being in Qld 2 years ago from memory, so yes, fairly recent. Sorry to hear that your doggie isnt able to get out there anymore :D . As for commands you can use whatever words you want as long as it's a single word, most commonly people use heel, stand, drop, stay, wait, come etc.

Thanks MrsD! Pitty, that they didn't introduce this earlier. We were in Germany 2 years ago, so we didn't notice. Unfortunately when we were in Germany, Hera developed heavy HD and got operated. The OP went well and within no time the vet said she could do everything she was doing before. But she didn't want to. I think she was scared of being in pain again. She does agility in the yard but I wouldn't let her on the A-frame. Anyway, the link is great. Will print this out and start reading. Wont have a puppy for at least 4 months but I'd like to have everything ready when he gets home.

Thanks MrsD! Pitty, that they didn't introduce this earlier. We were in Germany 2 years ago, so we didn't notice. Unfortunately when we were in Germany, Hera developed heavy HD and got operated. The OP went well and within no time the vet said she could do everything she was doing before. But she didn't want to. I think she was scared of being in pain again. She does agility in the yard but I wouldn't let her on the A-frame. Anyway, the link is great. Will print this out and start reading. Wont have a puppy for at least 4 months but I'd like to have everything ready when he gets home.

ADAA Agility have a regular program where older dogs or dogs getting over injuries, compete on the same courses as the international standard against other regular dogs, and are able to earn titles, but there is no double or triple spread jump, or tyre jump, jump heights are one height lower than the dogs standard jump height and the A-Frame is lower as well. the closest ADAA club to you would be the PADS club, www.pads.org.au they also run basic obedience classes and motivation classes

Maybe you could stick with German commands and just change the sound a little so they become English:

Platz = Place

Fuss = Foot

Hier = Here (sounds pretty much the same anyways...doesn't it?)

Can't remember what German for 'stand' or 'stay' is.

Might save you a verbal fumble too...I know I'd probably make a verbal error in the ring if I had to change commands I was used to :laugh:

Hmph! I can't believe cross breeds weren't allowed to compete before! I don't have papers for my dogs and I've been told I'll have to register them as associate dogs too even though they're pure bred.. It's all too snooty if you ask me!

I guess it was supposed to promote proper breeding etc.. But still.. I feel slightly insulted Lol.. :rofl:

Why insulted?

The VCAs (now Dogs Vic) main registers are for registered pure bred dogs, its always been that way.

There is no way you can prove your dogs are pure breds for several generations without papers.

Edited by tollersowned

Well, the last thing I want is standing there thinking about what the command was called again :rofl: Wouldn't look to good! I think I stick with the English words. What about handsignals? Are they allowed. I thought Hera all commands with handsignals as well so if I have guests or am on the phone or something I don't need to say something but just need a handsignal.

Kowai - obedience trials/competitions are run by state controlling body which oversees the registratin of purebred dogs. The way they do it is by ensuring that any dogs entered in them is registered with them, either as registered purebred or as an associate register dog which covers any dogs not registered by a breeder with them, crossbred or otherwise. As such they are entitled to impose whatever restrictions they like on then I guess, it's like joining any other club or association, you wouldnt expect to be able to just go & compete in competitions without joining up.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the CCCQ (or equivilent state association) requiring you to register your dog with them to be able to compete in their events, only that the CCCQ for many years wouldnt allow an associate register. But now they do, I see no problem :rofl: .

Oceanaussi - signals are allowed, the only stipulation is that they must be a single movement of the arms &/or hands only which must be prompty returned to their normal position & they must be inaudible & not touch the dog.

Cannot help thinking as I read this thread, that dogs learn to read our body language very well. After all it is their way of communication between themselves and US. As a result whatever we "say", bearing in mind vocal cues are the last to be learnt by a dog, hand signals etc are understand by our canine friends first.

Teaching new vocal commands as a result is certainly easier than changing our body and hand cues.