Should We Have Been Dq'd?

I was having a read through the obedience rule book today and was reading through CCD exercises and what results in disqualification, minor deductions etc. Was a passenger in a car and bored so read through rules for fun.. sad huh! :o

In the stand for exam it says that disqualification occurs for a dog who attacks, deductions for things like moving feet, needing a second command etc. We were DQ'd at our members trial the other week- for our stand for exam- and am a bit confused after reading the rules today s to why were were DQ'd as she most certainly did not attack or try to :laugh: Is my rule book old (only got it last year) or wrong? Or does it mean we got penalised for something else?

I heard of a girl up here that got NQ'd in the SFE for her lead touching the ground when she left the dog....its not in the rules, but it happened.

I'd be asking why. May all be above board, but if there's something you've missed that you need to train for its best knowing sooner rather than later.

Cosmolo, is this the same club at which the instructors were giving you grief in agility?

As far as I was aware, it would be a NQ (scoring under the 50% required to pass that section). There is a big difference between, as I found out when stewarding a CCD ring and I copied the results over as DQ thinking they were both the same :rofl::laugh:

Always worth reading over the rule book I've found, one of our members got DQ'd for something in a games trial a few weeks ago and he shouldn't have been. :o

She didn't actually move any of her feet, but rocked back into a bow. My OH was handling so i had a perfect view of what she did. Yes it is the same club Rom. I just want to know for next time more than anything else.

Cosmo, my guess is it was supposed to be an NQ, not a DQ - whether the steward copied it incorrectly or the judge wasn't terribly experienced & wrote the wrong thing down, I'm betting it was supposed to be an NQ (which as FP metioned is very different to a DQ).

IMO if the dog rocked back into a bow (presumably the elbows touched the ground) that would have been a break of position which would mean an NQ score.

She didn't actually move any of her feet, but rocked back into a bow. My OH was handling so i had a perfect view of what she did. Yes it is the same club Rom. I just want to know for next time more than anything else.

You will get DQ'd if she

*moves all 4 feet (don't I know it - Leo shook in his SFE which was an immediate DQ!)

*shows any form of aggression

*does not maintain position (so in your case coz she 'bowed').

Does that make more sense?

You will get DQ'd if she

*moves all 4 feet (don't I know it - Leo shook in his SFE which was an immediate DQ!)

LP, the dog will not be DQed for moving it's feet or not maintaining position. A DQ & an NQ are completely different things! If you are DQed the dog is DQed from any further competition on the day & the judge has to provide a written report to the controlling body within 14 days except in instances where the disqualification was incurred for barking or a correction from the handler.

A zero score (& an NQ) is for a dog which breaks from position, shows an obvious tendency to attack or doesnt carry out the principle feature of the exercise. Which IMO is what Cosmo's dog did.

Check your rule book :thumbsup: .

You will get DQ'd if she

LP, the dog will not be DQed for moving it's feet or not maintaining position. A DQ & an NQ are completely different things! If you are DQed the dog is DQed from any further competition on the day & the judge has to provide a written report to the controlling body within 14 days except in instances where the disqualification was incurred for barking or a correction from the handler.

A zero score (& an NQ) is for a dog which breaks from position, shows an obvious tendency to attack or doesnt carry out the principle feature of the exercise. Which IMO is what Cosmo's dog did.

Check your rule book :thumbsup: .

oops :thumbsup:

I keep thinking that DQ and NQ are the same things in obedience (know they are different for agility) - so what would cause a dog to be DQ'd then???

oops :thumbsup:

I keep thinking that DQ and NQ are the same things in obedience (know they are different for agility) - so what would cause a dog to be DQ'd then???

You will get DQ if your dog attacks a person or another dog or for continual barking. As the handler, you can also be DQed for a correction - however most times if the correction is only minor you'll be given a warning & get points taken off. I think they put it under deductions for "guidance with the lead" :thumbsup: .

Any harsh correction will probably get you a DQ though.

ETA - I forgot that taking food, toys, training aids etc into the ring is also penalized by disqualification.

Edited by MrsD