More Pics Of My Dogs Working On Quail

Had a great day with the dogs yesterday. Found some excellent cover and put up about 80 birds (wild quail) in 4 hours. The wind was gusty and the birds were running hard, so it was a tough day, but the dogs worked beautifully, we were treated to some truly outstanding dog work (and there were times when the birds won and made the dogs look rather foolish). Like I say a tough day, but these are the days that the dogs, the good ones at least, learn a thing or two, and adapt.

Were treated to the majestic sight of a huge wedge-tailed eagle soaring low overhead, checking out the possibility of an easy quail dinner no doubt. Although these birds generally pursue ground game, rabbits, lizards and small wallabies. I find that various raptors are a common sight when working the dogs, attracted I’m sure to the flushing quail. Peregrine falcons with frequently swoop down and attempt to take a flushed quail.

One memorable moment occurred when one of my dogs was drawing in on scent, I was expecting more quail work, when suddenly up jumped a bloody EMU!! Luckily the emu was not aggressive, but simply ran off and my dog recalled promptly. The emu had been sitting on a clutch of 6 huge, dark green coloured eggs. Not wishing to disturb the big bird any further, we moved off promptly, in search of somewhat smaller birds.