When Is Too Old

Hi guys

Question if you were looking at an older dog as an obedience agility and retrieving trial prospect when you you say a dog is too old to start training and trialling would you prefer a dog to be under one under three or prefer to start with a puppy so you can lay your own foundations

Im talking high performance here not just getting a cd title a dog that has the potetial to do vry well

I prefer pups (8 week olds) as I can train them my way and not have any unwanted habits that I have to retrain.

In saying that, with a puppy sometimes you get things that you don't want. My pup is very timid and worries in new situations, something that I will have to work a lot on. If she was an older dog when I bought her I wouldn't of choosen a dog with her temperament. :confused: She is the first pup that I have had with a timid nature so it's a new challenge. :rofl:

Forgot to say I wouldn't have any problem if the dog was three, as long as it showed something that really took my eye for the dog sport I had in mind.

Edited by PAX

I got Jarrah when he was just about a year old & I have found that I loved being able to assess Jarah's temperament & his drives as an adult & not having to guess what he was going to turn into. To be honest in his case it really wouldnt have mattered if he was older because as a performance dog he had absolutely everything that I wanted + a temperament that suits me & my personality.

I've only ever had puppies before & for my next one will probably get another pup (only because I couldnt afford a dog that is already started in herding :confused: ) but I would most definitely consider an adult dog again if one came along.

thats what im thining if the dog has high drive and strong nerves older could be better in the sense of knowing what you are getting

plus no waiting to grow up

Yep, you beat me, that's exactly what I was trying to say :confused: .

the dog in question is nearly four

has been started in retrieving has her qc

has a show champion

but no obedience work cept that for retrieving

i was a bit unsure about the age four is older than any dog ive had and the fact that someone else has done work with the dog and they train vey differently to me i am going to see her sunday

should add the dog hasnt lived in surburbia or really ben inside she has lived in kennels with other dogs this could be a good thing then again maybe not will know more sunday

Edited by wheres my rock

Had a couple of friends get dogs that have been kennel raised. They had some issues with the dogs being scared of 'normal' house things like the vaccum cleaner. Sounds like this dog has done a bit more then their doggies though, but something to consider.

Good luck!!

(but but you miss out on puppy breath with an older doggie, I looveee puppy breath :thumbsup: )

Guest Piximatosis

I'm working towards trialling in obedience with Holly who is a few months shy of 6 years old... I got her when she was 3.

She has had a few things to work through and I also had to learn a bit before I could handle her properly but if another adult dog like her came along I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. :eek:

I've only ever had puppies before & for my next one will probably get another pup (only because I couldnt afford a dog that is already started in herding :wave: ) but I would most definitely consider an adult dog again if one came along.

There are lots of older rescue dogs around who take to herding - Perry was only a year old when I got her and two when we started herding but there are some other rescues around from working lines who have started older and gone on to great things.

I also think it depends on the dog, but also on what you're trying to achieve with the dog. If you want to reach the top levels in any sport, then I'd imagine you'd want a very young dog so you can imprint is as you please and control all of its learning experiences as it matures. If you just want a pet who does some competition too, then as long as your dog is keen and healthy, IMO it is never too old to start training.

My staffy and I started tracking last year (age 7) and this year we have started properly training for our first obedience trials (first competition at age 8). We're training working trials this year too, but I think his arthritis might prevent him doing the jumps before we're ready to actually enter any trials. So if 3 years is too old for a dog to start, then we're definately in trouble! :wave: