Sweeping, Mopping, Raking...

Whenever I rake or sweep our 5 1/2 month Labrador wants to jump on / attack / bite / run away with the broom or rake. It is literally impossible to do this work with him around. He doesn't bark at it though.

Also when I vaccum he will swap between chasing and barking at the main section (where the filter and motor is) and barking and biting at the sucker bit that is running a long the floor. I just continue vaccuming and ignore him - this is achievable because the vaccum is loud and occassionally he gets a fright and eases up.

Can you suggest anything to combat this behaviour?

Thanks

Firstly I like your line which includes dance like no one is watching, as sometimes when my dogs learn another link in the chain, I dance.

Anyway, back to your question.

Personally I like youngsters who show no fear to noise which includes various household noises. Your lab sounds as me as though he is gaining enjoyment/satisfaction in chasing. This is one test before all others I actually do when picking pups. The ones who do not give up as they chase a rag on a long piece of rope.

Play/train other games with the youngster. The vaccum cleaner, rake and broom will eventually hold little value.