Doggie Jumpers/jackets

Love my Sonny and Neko

Hi all

Over the weekend I got my 2 staffy pups a little jumper each. They are really cheap ones and aren't made too well but I got them more for a test. When I leave home some mornings it is only 3 degrees and I hate the thought of them going from a warm house to their cold laundry bed!

I am just wondering if any fellow staffy owners have any tips on the best types of jumpers for staffs (or any other dog I guess) including fabric and where to buy them.

also - am worried at the thought of the jumpers getting wet so assume it's best to put a little waterproof jacket on too?

Cheers!

Amy

My boss's staffy has a fleece type jumper and a drizabone - looks really spiffy! (would love to get a drizabone for my Kelpie and Kelpie X but OH won't let me!).

The only thing I would worry about is with two (I am assuming they are outside when wearing them and you aren't home?) is that they might chew it off each other or get them filthy, and you would have wasted your money. I would only put coats on mine on walks, when home or overnight (if they were the kind of dog to get that cold like a sighthound)

Hi Kavik

I am worried too about them pulling and chewing them but the time that I am worried about them being cold is when I put them out in the morning. So many people say 'they are dogs. They don't get cold' but I read on a thread on DoL that Staffies don't handle the cold too well. And sometimes Sonny shivers! I guess there is 2 of them so they can cuddle up right?

Anyway - thanks!

The staffies in our obedience class all wear jumpers or jackets. The owners say their dogs actually like them and one even seems happy when they see the coat :rofl: . The short-haired breeds get cold. My sister's RidgebackX Staffy feels the cold, too.

My rufty-tufty poodles don't need woolly jumpers- inbuilt :laugh:post-6819-1182140097_thumb.jpg

my stafford loves his weatherbeeta coat, at the local pet shop i saw a really good.. fleece lined oilskin one in his size for around 45.00... also like the polar fleece ones for inside or in bed (crate ) at night and his thicker one for outside, hes not outside much these days he hates the cold.

weatherbeeta coast are awsome.. thick waterproof. and last, (unless the dog destroys it).. for those that dont know they make horse rugs as well, so they are great quality..

Guest Tiggy

I feel terrible putting Sophie outside when I leave for work on cold mornings because she shivers but I tried leaving a coat on her and she chewed it and I'd worry about leaving a coat on in case it got caught on something and she'd get hot when it warmed up. The dogs have a kennel they all snuggle up in so I'm sure she's fine. I feed fattier cuts of meat over the colder months as they use more energy keeping warm.

Thanks poodle-wrangler and Rexy for your posts.

Rexy - where do you get the polar fleece ones from or do you make them yourself?

i have in the past made them for my old lil doggie. i am going to take a pattern off staffords bigger coat and make him a polar fleece one too, i priced them at pet shop yesterday and they wanted :rofl: 40 dollars for a simple polar fleece jacket it was lined so was double thickness, but still, you could make it for less than half that price..

i saw them at stafford show recently and i think they were 20 or 30, someone had made them, i realy shoudl of got one of those ones..lol but i dont mind making them myself.

Thanks poodle-wrangler and Rexy for your posts.

Rexy - where do you get the polar fleece ones from or do you make them yourself?

i have in the past made them for my old lil doggie. i am going to take a pattern off staffords bigger coat and make him a polar fleece one too, i priced them at pet shop yesterday and they wanted :rofl: 40 dollars for a simple polar fleece jacket it was lined so was double thickness, but still, you could make it for less than half that price..

i saw them at stafford show recently and i think they were 20 or 30, someone had made them, i realy shoudl of got one of those ones..lol but i dont mind making them myself.

If you do make a good pattern - feel free to send it my way :rofl:

I think I could sweet talk my mother in law into making one!!!

no probs , easy enough to do, if you can get a good cheap coat that already fits then take a pattern off that, that way you have it made to fit your own dog.., the weather better coat i have for my boy , is a tad to small across the chest, id like it bigger for him and maybe a bit more in length in body , but as long as there is enough adjustment, it should fit varying sizes..