Throwing Food Pls Explain!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL PAX we must be. You know what there have been a number of times I have emailed Gina and she has said OMG you sound so much like me :rofl: . Other times I have posted responses on the list before the "gurus" and then they have come out and agreed with what I have to say. :) . Ok I have maybe spent way to much time around them that I am starting to sound like them. Thats REALLY SCARY.

Oh yep I use get it for everything. 2 food game, tossing toys, tuggy. It seems to be a generic cue which leads to increased excitment.

Bit like my Are you ready? which I use to say before I tossed a toy at the park, or creek or beach. Funnily enough it took very little to establish that as a cue to switch her on for heeling because I had spent so much time using it for other fun activities. It was suggested over in Perth and when Gina tried with Ness the very first time she was instantly more enthused and looking for action. It was only thinking it over later that I clued into why.

LOL - I always say 'ready' to gee them up too - LOL - when the judge asks 'are you ready' I always reply 'ready' - someone told me it was like telling your dog 'ready set go'... it works a treat :). I always say get it for tossing toys, tugs etc.... not sure about food - probably do coz it is so ingrained :rofl:

Hmmm Ness - when are we going to Perth??

:champagne: leopuppy and PAX are fighting again. I'll take whoever thinks they can help best in my devlish plan to dognap my favourite toller over there. Whoever is willing to accept the mission - it won't be easy since the person knows full well of my intentions :) . Better yet what do you reckon we can smuggle some of these gurus back in the luggage since Perth have so many its about time they shared.

ETA. If they are good and come without a fuss we may even provide food and water :rofl: .

Edited by ness

Well that would be me!

I am unknown on the list as I rarely post. I wont bring a dog so I can accept the mission with total confidence, I am prepared to wear a disguise and do what ever demaning tasks you need, even pick up the poop.

Also I have a talent of being a good distration while we employ another unknown person to dogknap the Toller. :)

Forgot to say I would really like to free load on Lablover for a while on our trip.

Edited by PAX

I was going to say I don't throw it short distances either, unless an occasional bad throw. Usually I use quite large pieces and throw them quite a distance.

ETA WMR - its not that I don't like the way my dog works I want to keep her and steal the toller :) .

Edited by ness

Hmm yeah if I could get a second dog though it would be a BC not a toller - some of the tollers are dead from the feet up (but don't tell them I said that) although you could equally argue that for some of the BCs around the place.

How far can you throw a piece of food? Mind you I do understand, throwing retrieves would, end up further away.

Just thought it be worthwhile to add my concern regarding physical injury and long term affects.

Ok for those of unfortunate poor souls to be training breeds who aren't into retrieving I use food to help increase a retrieve drive but the same holds true for anything really. Throwing toys, food, playing tuggy are all open to injury if over done.

As for how far - hmm further then I seem to be able to throw a toy sometimes :) .

Fair enough, my heart used to be in my mouth from time to time when the dogs skidded to a stop, backflipped and turned so suddenly, their limbs, neck and spine, in my opinion were compromised.

On this topic, I do think I rewarded incorrectly due to rewarding for, their successes which were past the time frame, a dog "thinks". Rewarding made me feel good, but pretty useless for the dog.

I still see this, when I watch slow returns etc being praised at obedience classes.

Well, completely off topic now. LOL.