Leave Toads Alone?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with training dogs to leave cane toads alone? We're moving up to Brisbane with our Maltese and Pug at the end of the year, and they'll be spending most of their daylight hours in the back yard. We'll probably attempt some kind of toad-proof fencing as well, but just in case we'd like them to know to leave the toads alone before anything happens...

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with training dogs to leave cane toads alone? We're moving up to Brisbane with our Maltese and Pug at the end of the year, and they'll be spending most of their daylight hours in the back yard. We'll probably attempt some kind of toad-proof fencing as well, but just in case we'd like them to know to leave the toads alone before anything happens...

Where abouts in Brisbane are you moving to?

We have used the "leave it" command for food originally - they have to sit and wait for their code word before they are allowed their food, and if they make a move before that the "leave it" command is used. This also works when out walking and they go to check out something, like rubbish.

Cane toads have only come into our yard about 6 weeks ago, so we have used the leave it command with the green tree frogs, with great success. They will still go up to them for a sniff, but they don't attempt to play or mouth them. There's obviously a different smell to GTFs than toads - they're still a bit of a novelty for them, but so far, they have only expressed mild interest in them. Until they exhibit the same behaviour towards toads as they do to GTFs we will be watching them very closely, and disposing of all toads in our sight.

Hi,

Where abouts in Brisbane are you moving to?

Probably around the Carindale area

You won't see them through the day.

I've taught my BC and most foster dogs to leave them alone by saying NO when they go to inspect.

I had a foxie who would not listen to me so she had to be kept inside at night and put on alead to go to the toilet. During the day she made no attempt to find them.

Don't leave food or water outside at night. Toads love dogfood and dogs water bowls. In summer I have a child wading pool 1/2 full of water. The toads often get in for a drink but can't climb out. In the morning I catch and freeze them before the dogs find them.

I find ticks a bigger problem - I live near a river with bushland.

Edited by Scarlet

I agree with Isaviz- spray the toads with dettol.... and you will notice a big decrease in activity.

If you correct your dogs very firmly the very first time they show an interest in chasing them that will help.

The 'leave it ' command is tops - because even dead toads can kill dogs who are scavengers.

It is only of an evening that you will see them emerge from their hiding place.

The much maligned crow is a natural predator of the cane toad.

Toads cannot climb.

Don't leave out any drinking water for your dogs of a night because if the toads get into these bowls, they will poison the water.

Edited by Tarmons

We've found (and in my previous life living in QLD) that the bigger the toad is the more sedentry it is. They're also fairly docile critters, so can be pretty easy to pick up (not that i like it, but I do it for the dogs' sakes).

Maybe we've got dumb ones up here Isa, or they're worn out from the journey from down south! :)

We lived in QLD for 4 years with our dog and she caught dozens of them. The first time we rushed her to the vet in a panic, but the vet told us to just rinse the dog's mouth out with lots of fresh water. You can tell they have had one because their mouth gets all frothy. She is now 16 and still going strong, so they can't have done much damage. :)

We get a lot of toads at night where I live. We taught Gracie 'leave' and to be honest she has no interest in them. The other day (well a when it was still warm and toady) I was outside with her while she went to the loo and she rushed up to the toad, had a good squiz about a metre away. And then just left it alone.

Despite being quite confident that she won't touch them, we do not allow our dogs access to the back yard at night, unless they are with us, especially in summer.

I do worry about my pup. I have taught her the same commend with everything I don't want her to touch, but she is rather zealous in her nature and seems to have quite a high prey drive so it seems, so I will be extra vigilant with her.

I also won't let the dogs out during spring/summer during the day, unless I am there. (Snakes). Lucky for them, we spend a lot of time outside in the warmer months so they don't miss out! :thumbsup:

EFS and to add that toads can KILL.

Edited by Emmala

We've found (and in my previous life living in QLD) that the bigger the toad is the more sedentry it is. They're also fairly docile critters, so can be pretty easy to pick up (not that i like it, but I do it for the dogs' sakes).

Maybe we've got dumb ones up here Isa, or they're worn out from the journey from down south! :thumbsup:

:rofl::rofl: nah mine are just sick of me trying to murder them, I hate the cold but am glad cause no toads. I open the door and the buggers are off under the house as soon as I go inside they hop out again but Idid get 20 a couple of weeks ago.

I had to laugh at someone who put one in a freezer and the next day put it in the front yard to take away after a couple of forgotten hours here it was plastic bag and all hopping away :rofl: they are bloody hard to get rid of but after a midnight run to the vet when the water down the gullett didnt work and a couple of hundred dollars later I am out for vengance.

My mum's dog is a Parsons Jack Russell and it took two not so pleasant trips to the vet with a hose down her throat for her to realise that "playing" with a cane toad can only lead to trouble. She completely ignores them now though which is a relief. Both times she had the run in with the toad's I was the one looking after her. Talk about panic!

I take Jak outside on the lead of a night time because they're in my yard even now - and Jak seems to have quite an interest in them. I don't let her near them, but I will be trying the leave it command with her from now on.

Edited by Rhi & Jak