Being Protective Of Rewards

In the past two weeks I've noticed Darcy getting a bit protective of her rewards/anticipated rewards.

Both occasions there was no contact, started with a lifted lip and then when they continued to approach she lept at both dogs. 1st one she could she I was approaching with her usual 2 pigs ears after training when a small dog wandered too close. Darcy was tied, the small dog on-lead. The second was over a very high level reward of raw steak in a container that was a metre or so away when a bigger dog decided it smelt pretty good. Both dogs were off-lead.

She's literally just hit 18 months, never ever seen the behaviour before.

Would you be concerned about it? Would you correct the behaviour? (I didn't FWIW).

My dogs have always been quite protective about their food and their treats.....and my lab certainly would threaten to rip the head off (prolly wouldn't as he is such a sook)......the head off any dog close enough.

My only suggestion is to change the treat at the park or in public to something quick to scoff but something high reward she doesn't usually have..........and maybe keep the good chewing pigears for a reward when you get home and she doesn't have to worry about another dog taking her had earned yummies!

Hello there! Good luck on the weekend if I don't see you beforehand!

Considering it was my dog in the second instance :) I would suggest that the container sitting on the ground is going to be very tempting to ANY dog and they will appraoch it not knowing that your girl is protective, so to prevent her getting cranky, maybe keep the treats on yourself?? Then no one else can get to them except her :rofl: and you ;) .

See you soon... :o

I would correct the behaviour in the manner that I wouldn't present the reward she is anticipating, yes. Basically, if it were my dog (and Nova has done this once or twice), I would put the reward in my pocket, turn my back and walk away.