Pup Shredding & Naughty Behavior

franklin kcs

Hi Everyone..

Im new to the board and everyone seems really helpful...

My pup - 7mth old Cav King Charles Spaniel by the name of Franklin is starting to drive me batty!

I love him dearly... but the amount of shoes he has eaten (and always the expensive ones) is driving me crazy!

Yes i lock them up, but sometime you forget to close a door or something and in he goes!

Anyway, my real prolem is that he knows he is doing the wrong thing, you can see the guilt when you walk in the door...

He has a habit of shredding things... mostly paper... but yesterday he got into the bin in the bathroom and tore everything in it up...

He also jumps on the dining table when we arnt home...

Does anyone have any real solutions for stopping naughty behavior...

We arnt home during the day to police him so he seems to forget everything he learns on the weekend and at nights!

He is restricted away from bedrooms and bathrooms when we arnt home..

Help is appreciated!!

Thanks

Peta

Hello and welcome.

I am sure you will get a lot of help from other people here. I am not an expert but here are my comments:

1) When you come home and see shredded stuff never punish your dog. He doesn't make a connection between destroyed shoes that he "took care of" few hours ago and your reaction to it so much later

2) The guilty look on his face does not mean he knows what he did wrong, it means that you must have punished him a few times much later after the mischief and now he is trying to avoid the punishment. He does not know what he is being punished for though

3) Always correct straight after it happened (within seconds). Even two minutes later is just too late

4) Provide toys, rotate them so he doesn't get bored of them. I highly recommend kongs to chew on with stuff inside that can take him hours to get out

5) When you teach him not to do something show him what you want him to do (for example play with his own toys) and reward the good behavior

6) Take him for a walk before you leave him for a day, tired dog is less much less likely to misbehave.

7) When you walk him in the morning add a short 5min training session

8) Mentally and physically tired dog will sleep most of the day rather then try to entertain himself

Good luck

maria

Edited by laffi

hi franklin,

for the dining room table incidents, there is an aerosol can thingy that you can buy that s mean't to keep cats away, i think its called SSCAT? Its a cat repelant that lets out a spray... but it also lets a beep out before the spray... its automatic as it has a motion sensor... you would need it on the right angle thou.

SSCAT

best i can think of... certainly training not to do it is the best solution... but you could use the SSCAT when you aren't there.

Hi Peta, Ditto to everything laffi said! A lot of people seem to think that their dog knows they have done wrong because they look guilty but it really isn't a concept that dogs understand.

How long is he alone? Cavaliers are a real companion breed and don't do well if left alone for long hours. When I'm at work I confine my girls to the kitchen with their toys and some newspaper (and yes my pup does shred the paper but what does it matter?). They are comfy and safe there and not much mischief can be done! Aerogard sprayed on surfaces will deter chewing. He is a pup and pups chew - it's up to you to keep things out of his reach.

Close some doors, lock away stuff you don't want him to "play" with.

How much training is he getting? The more mental stimulation he gets the better. This is a sporting little spaniel you have here. Give him an outlet for his curiousity and your house will be the better off for it.

There is no way in this world I would leave my 6 month old lad unsupervised in the house for more than.....say about 2 minutes! They are puppies and the only way they learn is to explore thoroughly and put everything in their mouth. Some good advice in this thread. Morning walks or I find a free run much better....training...lots of toys (different shapes, textures, squeaks, rattles), rotated frequently....puzzle balls for biscuits and stuffed Kongs...confine puppy to a crate or a small room or a run (make sure he's tired first) and always close doors.

If you forget to close a door or pick up your shoes, you could always try my favourite tip: take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head while saying "I must remember to tidy up, I must remember to tidy up." Repeat daily. :(

Good luck, and enjoy your puppy being a PUPPY! :D

Can you not confine your puppy to one room of the house? I would never ever leave Bruno alone in the house for even a second without me watching him like a hawk! Even when I have a shower, he knows he has to come into the bathroom with me, and I shut the door behind him! He has grown out of the really naughty stage, but it just prevents you being angry and frustrated at yourself for leaving something where puppy can get it. I think you should look into building a large dog run, so he can be kept out of harms way and also have room to run around and play.

My pup - 7mth old Cav King Charles Spaniel by the name of Franklin is starting to drive me batty!

They tend to do that at that age :(

I love him dearly... but the amount of shoes he has eaten (and always the expensive ones) is driving me crazy!

That would be your fault not his :rofl:

Yes i lock them up, but sometime you forget to close a door or something and in he goes!

Again, that woud be your fault, not his :D

Anyway, my real prolem is that he knows he is doing the wrong thing, you can see the guilt when you walk in the door...

Nup, no guilt what-so-ever from your dog, your dog is simply reacting to your body language / tone of voice / change in your scent. Great book called Dog Listener by Jan Fennell, will teach you about Canines, as much as we love to put human emotions onto a dog in a bid to try and understand them more it doesn't work because they are Canines and we are Humans.

He has a habit of shredding things... mostly paper... but yesterday he got into the bin in the bathroom and tore everything in it up...

Your fault, not his.

He also jumps on the dining table when we arnt home...

What's up there that is so interesting?

Does anyone have any real solutions for stopping naughty behavior...

Start treating him like a dog so he's lessed stressed whilst you're out. Give him boredom busters. Put away items you don't want him to ruin, effectively he's a teenager.

We arnt home during the day to police him so he seems to forget everything he learns on the weekend and at nights!

Wouldn't you get up to mischief if you were stressed and bored?

He is restricted away from bedrooms and bathrooms when we arnt home..

Good move :D

Help is appreciated!!

Thanks

Peta

Agree with what everyone else has written, just thought I'd add that GUILT is a human emotion, not a dog emotion. Dogs do not feel guilt, they do not feel sorry for doing something wrong. They may not be very pleased that you are telling them off, but they do not feel guilty. Unless you catch them IN THE ACT and tell them off, they cannot make the connection between what they did wrong and what they're being reprimanded for, even if it's 20 seconds later!

I didn't know that getting on top of tables was a dog thing to do!! I think my pup must have been a mountain goat in a previous life - when I was moving furniture out of the house, had locked pup in the backyard and went outside to check and found him standing on the top of our outdoor table like the king of the mountain!!! There wasn't anything on the table either, so beats me why he wanted to stand on it... :p

You are really asking a lot of a 7 month old puppy expecting him to behave perfectly while he's left alone all day, I would never leave a young puppy unsupervised in the house for hours at a time and expect to return home to a tidy house. Your dog is bored, he's only very young and of course he's going to try to entertain himself while you're gone. He isn't being deliberately naughty and doesn't know that he's done anything wrong, when you come home he's either reacting to your negative body language or is associating your coming home with punishment/unpleasantness. If you are telling him off after the act you are simply confusing him and you have a good chance of making him wary and frightened of you, walking in the door and yelling at your dog is not a good thing to do.

You appear to be under the impression that dogs behave and react in the same way as humans and this is totally incorrect, do some research into dog behaviour and how they interpret the world and you may see things a little differently :p Join an obedience club and start training him, give him more exercise, both these things will help.

In the meantime I would be building or purchasing a dog run and leaving him outside with his favourite toys and a bone, then you know that he's safe and can't destroy anything or make a mess in the house.

Good luck :love:

JMHO

Any bored dog is destructive. :rofl:

Buy his some toys, get a Kong which you can fill with treats and he can spend some time trying to retrieve his treats. :rofl:

He obviously likes being off the ground - get a trampoline bed for him. :rofl:

If you must leave him alone like that - put him in the kitchen and don't give him access to the rest of the house or build a run outside where he is safe adn cant do any damage :D

Leave the radio on for him - yes Iknow he's a dog but the sound of human voices might help :rofl:

Alternatively - get a puppy sitter to mind him while you are at work.

As a labrador owner (Labs will eat or chew anything they can if allowed to ) I can tell you that no dog feels guilt - emotions are alien events to dogs especially guilt :D

Good luck - Franklin will retrain you eventually :)

My Cav has a thing about ripping up tissues but then my cats did the same thing

my tip is same as with kids and my previous dogs put everything out of reach you don’t want them to have, because they just don’t know they are not allowed it you can tell them a million times but lets face it they don’t speak our language and to them a toy or shoes they cant distinguish from the two try your best to only let them get at what you want and if you forget give your self a spank ( or a cry over the $100+ shoes that are now trashed )if you punish them when you get home they have no idea what they have done

Prevention is the best thing

Bailey will shred any paper he comes in contact with.....it's what puppies do! I just try to make sure that there is no paper left where he can get it.

I also crate Bailey when I am out or I put him in his run. I wouldn't trust him in the house alone. Who knows what a playful pup could get up to unsupervised?!?

Just want to say, kaos is also a Table sitter. I dont have an outdoor setting anymore, but she would ALWAYS sit on the table, i have an old wooden table out back now, and she is always on top of that.

Even when we went to Ezas place for the night, she ended jumping on all the tables, and even the BBQ :thumbsup:

No idea what it is for her, she has never gotten a reward for it, and never tries it inside, only when outside.

I didn't know that getting on top of tables was a dog thing to do!! I think my pup must have been a mountain goat in a previous life - when I was moving furniture out of the house, had locked pup in the backyard and went outside to check and found him standing on the top of our outdoor table like the king of the mountain!!! There wasn't anything on the table either, so beats me why he wanted to stand on it... :rofl:

that is sooo funny :D :D :eek: