Travelling In The Car

kermat

Just wondering if anyone had some ideas of how to settle down a puppy during car trips?? We've been driving our nearly 8 month old beagle puppy Judd to the park most nights and every weekend since we got him (which was early December), we've got a metal clip that attaches to the back seatbelt that then clips onto his harness so he is restrained but can still move around the backseat - we thought he'd get used to travelling in the car after awhile but he still whines and cries and moves around alot and keeps trying to get into the front seat with us and ends up getting himself all tangled up. He is quite happy to jump into the backseat when we're leaving so it doesn't seem like he's afraid of the car, but its just while we're actually driving he will not settle.

Any thoughts?? Could it be travel sickness??

Better Homes and Gardens had a staffy on the show who behaved in a similar way. Dr Harry's solution was to have the dog travel in the area behind the passenger seat, on floor. Can't remember what they used to keep him down there, but I'm sure you could easily rig something using your harness and a long leash/ rope/ length of chain from hardware shop etc.- attach to the hardware under the passenger seat. What they used was quite short, so the dog couldn't get itself tangled or get anywhere near the front of the car.

Theory was the dog was overexcited by all the sights, sounds etc. when travelling in back seat. More settled when less to see.

Perhaps worth a try as it'll cost next to nothing.

Better Homes and Gardens had a staffy on the show who behaved in a similar way. Dr Harry's solution was to have the dog travel in the area behind the passenger seat, on floor. Can't remember what they used to keep him down there, but I'm sure you could easily rig something using your harness and a long leash/ rope/ length of chain from hardware shop etc.- attach to the hardware under the passenger seat. What they used was quite short, so the dog couldn't get itself tangled or get anywhere near the front of the car.

Theory was the dog was overexcited by all the sights, sounds etc. when travelling in back seat. More settled when less to see.

Perhaps worth a try as it'll cost next to nothing.

I would also put something over the windows to limit the stimulations and train him/play etc inside the car when it's not moving, even if you are not planning to go anywhere.

Hope it helps.

Kermat,I would check how your Dog see"s you inregard to Leadership.You might think what the Hell has Leadership got to do with riding in the Car?

A Dog see"s going on a walk as going on a Hunt.To a Dog driving in the Car is also going on a Hunt.A Dog that has Dominant tendencies or mistakenly thinking it is top Dog will want to lead the Hunt.This type of Dog when driving in a Car,will in his mind see the Hunt as being led from the Front and this transalates to being the Front Seat.These type of Dogs will get excited and frustrated in the back,wanting to get to the Front Seat and lead.

Hence the reason why I say check your Leadership. Tony

Is the only time your puppy goes in the car with you when he's going for a walk, or anything else he see's as being fun or rewarding?

We find taking our puppy on short trips where he doesn't actually get to get out of the car helps him keep calm. We also ignore him the entire time. He doesn't see going in the car as meaning he gets a walk (=reward), so he just gets clipped in and then has a sleep.

Maybe its a combination of him getting excited because he's going for a walk, being a little over stimulated by all the sights and sounds and getting your attention.

Good luck.

We found one of the best ways to settle our guys was to turn the air con up high - they got a bit chilled so they'd curl up to retain body heat and go to sleep. If they're hot they're more likely to move around.

Does Judd know the lie down command? Give lots of pats and/or treats to encourage this in the car and a stern "no" to the behaviour you don't want. He'll catch on if you're consistent. :)

What about trying a back seat dog cover. The expensive ones are called Back Seat Buddy. I got one recently from the Reject shop for $12, has straps that go over both front and rear head rests, forms a barrier which stops the dog from accessing the front seat, and also stops them from falling down into the feet area. Also has a zipper down the middle for dividing, so people can sit in the back too, and seat belt slots, that I hook in her seat belt attachment. Made from seat belt type material, catches all dirt and sand. Protects seats from water. Best thing ever!!! :laugh: