Diet Help Required

A friend of mine has an adult corgi who needs to loose some weight, preferably quickly. I have made a number of recommendations about types of food she should be feeding, but wanted to know how much (as in weight) meat she should be getting per day. Currently her exercise is restricted due to a leg injury, so reduction of food and change in type of food is the only option for weight loss. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanx!

Thanx. Problem with the vet advice that she got was pushing a certain brand of dry food (eg just feed this dry food and nothing else). She's not keen on that approach, and if anything wants to reduce the amount of dry food. I like the idea of the vegetables, and have suggested that to her. I also suggested that she replace the mince she has been feeding with a combination of roo meat and some chicken necks, but I wasn't sure how much in total per day she should feed of meat. :)

Hills R/D worked very well for one of our dogs and once he lost the initial weight he went back to eating a combination of BARF and ADVANCE light or senior and he does very well on it.

Hills R/d or the Eukanuba Veterinary diet equivalent are the best and SAFEST way for a dog to loose weight.

The have less calories but the correct nutrients for the dog whilst they are loosing that halving the diet won't provide, and it makes them feel full.

Dogs shouldn't loose weight quickly, it should be SLOW and steady.

The cruciate also sounds like it needs to be fixed- taking the dog back to it's healthy weight will not negate the need for surgery.

Mel.

When I moved and had to diet my old border (he had to lose about 7kg as my ex neighbours kept feeding him) I fed him the Hills weight reduction on my vets recommendation. I only fed half what was recommended on the packet and he still gained weight :)

I put him onto one chicken wing for breakfast and 1/2 a cup of purina senoir and one chicken wing for dinner and the occasional vegetable. He lost weight gradually on this and seemed satisfied with the amount once he was used to it.

The cruciate also sounds like it needs to be fixed- taking the dog back to it's healthy weight will not negate the need for surgery.

Mel.

Yeah, I wondered about that too. Their vet has opted to treat the injury "conservatively" (his words)...if it was my dog I wouldn't be very satisfied with that and would be getting a second opinion about surgery Thanx!.

S&T:

Dogs shouldn't loose weight quickly, it should be SLOW and steady.

My vet reckons there's no downside to getting weight off a really fat dog FAST. She's the one who recommends food intake be halved. :)

What is the dog being feed now?/was it over weight prior to the injury or is thise weight gain due to the injury??

If the dog was doing well on the diet prior then quantity & modifications may work well,obvioulsy no treats aswell

Thanx everyone. The dog was overweight before the injury occurred. The owner has decided to cut out the kibble and just feed roo mince, chicken necks and vegetables and cut out treats. She is also going to look into swimming the dog. She asked me to thank you all for your suggestions. :rainbowbridge:

NAO:

The dog was overweight before the injury occurred.

There is a strong link between excess weight and CCL rupture. There's also a statistically higher incidence of a second rupture once the first has gone.

I hope this motivates the owner to keep the dog nice and lean now - far better from a health perspective. Corgi's backs can live without all the weight too.

Quantity fed will be as important as content. A dog can still maintain excess weight on that diet.

Edited by poodlefan

I actually managed to pick up some cheap Tripe at the butcher the other day. I believe it is pretty well fat free - and, amazingly, my dog loves it. If I give her a mixture of meaty bones and pieces, the Tripe is what she goes for first. Takes her a while to chew it too.

Certainly with dogs under 10kg we can treat cruciate rupture conseratively but they will definitely have lots of arthritic change.

If the dog is young enough, active, and has just ruptured the cruciate then surgery can be very successful and if done asap will reduce the amount of arthritic change that will cause pain down the track. :rainbowbridge:

Mel.

I actually managed to pick up some cheap Tripe at the butcher the other day. I believe it is pretty well fat free - and, amazingly, my dog loves it.

My old kelpie used to love tripe. I used it to reduce calories in her diet too. Only thing that put me off is the fact that it is bleached.