Advice Please

Kirislin

A friend was at work and a bloke was chucking out a tripod so he grabbed it for me. I have no idea how the fittings work to attach the camera though and I dont know if this is a good tripod worth my while to buy extra fittings if needs be. Does anyone know how this one works. I've pretty much figured out the ups and downs etc, I am just not sure about the top bit.

it's a vivitar v3000

4403600108_04a1eba1d8_b.jpg

that bit on an angle goes up and down

4403594388_376c7b2e0f_b.jpg

I've just discovered that wheel with the red circle comes off, I am wondering if I can screw the camera on the thread

4402817267_db0e5dbd98_b.jpg

this is when it's closed

4402805689_acdf41f30b_b.jpg

I think there is a piece missing... on the last photo, there is a separate piece that fits into the recessed part, and it has a screw that goes into the bottom of your camera. That way you can leave the piece on your camera, and either slip it onto the tripod or remove it without screwing and unscrewing all the time.

Here are some pictures of what I mean... http://www.tripodquickrelease.com/Vivitar_Quick_Releases.htm

Don't quote me on it, it's hard to tell for sure from photographs. Why not take it into your local camera store to make sure? They could order the part for you too.

Ring Camera House in Croydon and tell them you need a shoe for your camera to suit that model head. They should be able to give you a price and order one for you if they don't carry them. I think they post orders, I've seen them packing lenses for mailing. If the head does come off, you could buy a (better) head and shoe combination, to go onto it.

Very limiting just putting the camera onto the top of it, you'd have no tilting or panning adjustment, defeats the purpose. Better to use the head.

It looks right to me: push that little lever around, and the silver bit should swing its flat side to the front of the square. Put shoe on camera, slot the shoe in, then push the lever back and the silver disc will spin back and lock the shoe. Well, that's the plan.

That was good of your friend to think of you: any tripod is better than no tripod

Ring Camera House in Croydon and tell them you need a shoe for your camera to suit that model head. They should be able to give you a price and order one for you if they don't carry them. I think they post orders, I've seen them packing lenses for mailing. If the head does come off, you could buy a (better) head and shoe combination, to go onto it.

Very limiting just putting the camera onto the top of it, you'd have no tilting or panning adjustment, defeats the purpose. Better to use the head.

It looks right to me: push that little lever around, and the silver bit should swing its flat side to the front of the square. Put shoe on camera, slot the shoe in, then push the lever back and the silver disc will spin back and lock the shoe. Well, that's the plan.

That was good of your friend to think of you: any tripod is better than no tripod

Yes, I was really pleased that he did that too.

good idea about Camera House, I might even just take it in and see if they can tell me how it works and if the head comes off, I've had a fiddle with it but I dont think it does.