New Home Made Tuggie

Just finished making a cheap, tough drive training item out of 38mm fire hose off cut. The fire hose is rubber lined and encased in a tough cotton weave outer layer. Has road tested well.

It cost me about $3 in materials, less if you murder one of the kids teddys for the softfill.

Sewed a loop of soft rope from Bunnings, and passed it through a 30cm piece of fire hose offcut, sewed up one end of it, including the loop handle, stuffed it with softfill, then sewed up the other end.

Used a doll making needle and upholstery thread (polyester to repel saliva damage).

I have a Leerburg one, but found it way too fat for my Staffy's mouth. This size is just right.

Just needs to be dyed black.

oct2008047.jpg

oct2008048.jpg

Well, I guess I could make you one..........Road testing it on Staffies should be a good indication on wear, so we will call it research lol.

I just won't put a time on it, but when its ready, i'll let you know (anytime over the next few weeks when I get time)

Are you drive training specifically? Are your dogs conditioned to working for something similar, or are you teaching it? I found starting off using something fluffy to get the chase going worked well, then wean them onto something more convenient and tougher like this.

I'm just kidding, thanks though :cry:

I have heaps of drive toys, some that have never been used :cheer: If I ever get to a point with our drive training where I feel the toys are holding us back, I'll refer back to this thread and break out the sewing kit :happydance2:

Thats ok.

I am entertaining the thought of one day perhaps making obedience and agility equipment for others, so I plan to roadtest anything I make thoroughly before I would sell it.

I posted this a while back........ a high jump for trial training. Has an light aluminium angle frame, and pine boards, but I am exploring more lightweight but strong boards that dont make it too expensive. Wood costs a fortune now!

Jan2008001.jpg

Edited by dogdude

Hey DD could you use foam board or that plastic corrugated stuff, (hope you know what I mean) Like what they use for the real estate agent signs on the street corners, that would be really light weight, just not sure on cost

Oh and the tug looks great, I'm almost scared to ask where the fire hose came from though!

Edited by shoemonster

Hi SM

I used to work for a fire equipment servicing company years ago, who I still have contacts with. The hose costs me nothing, but I intend to cut up a new one because they are a lot more supple to work with. The peices I have are recycled, and toughened by the elements. there are also varying materials they come in. That is where the road testing will come in.

Hi Laffi

When I get some spare time, ill send you one too. :thumbsup: