House Training Puppy

♥dragonfly♥

Hi , I am after some advice on housetraining my bc puppy. She is 12 weeks old and we have had her for a month and seem to take one step forward then 2 steps backs with housetraining. We have been crate traing but on 3 occasions she has pee'd in her crate after only 1/2 hour, hubby says she has the bladder of a pregnant woman. We have an outdoor only dog and when i take her out back to go toiet she become distracted by him. So should i start taking her out the front yard to go toilet so she is not distracted by the kids playing or our other dog. We really want to be able to have her inside? our other dog after 12 months we could not train him and he happily lives outside but really want our new pup to be an indoor/ outdoor dog. Any ideas?? Should i take her out front to go toilet?? :laugh:

You should take her to where you want her to go in the longer term.

She's allowed to get distracted. Its what puppies do. You have to stay out there longer until she eliminates and praise like crazy when she does. That's for as long as it takes.

Yes, pups have tiny bladders. She won't learn anything except how to soil a crate unless she's taken out regularly, frequently and always after waking, eating, drinking or play. That takes a lot of supervison and hard work initially. Get it right straight away and the worst will be over in about two weeks. Get it wrong and you'll have another outside dog.

I recommend you read this link carefully Errorless Toilet Training

If you succeed in training this puppy, then you could try again with your older dog. He'll at least have better bladder control.

The first week with your new pup is very intent. We take our puppies out at a minimum of every hour during daylight times and as soon as we hear a rustle or if they get up. We also have a bell on the door handle and everytime we take them out, we ring it. We have had our newfie pup for a week now and she has made no mistakes and now walks up to the door and gives the chain of bells a jangle, when she is out of her crate. She is just such a cute little thing. We stay out side until she does something and give lots of praise outside where it happened. After food we try to leave her out for at least one hour in a safe area. She has settled into her (and ours) really well. She has slept right through the night the last two nights :)

The first week with your new pup is very intent. We take our puppies out at a minimum of every hour during daylight times and as soon as we hear a rustle or if they get up. We also have a bell on the door handle and everytime we take them out, we ring it. We have had our newfie pup for a week now and she has made no mistakes and now walks up to the door and gives the chain of bells a jangle, when she is out of her crate. She is just such a cute little thing. We stay out side until she does something and give lots of praise outside where it happened. After food we try to leave her out for at least one hour in a safe area. She has settled into her (and ours) really well. She has slept right through the night the last two nights :love:

Wow a puppy that rings a bell :) You have one smart pup :) Willow has yet to go a full 24hrs without going in the house, it can become a depressing sometimes but she will get it i'm hoping.

You should take her to where you want her to go in the longer term.

She's allowed to get distracted. Its what puppies do. You have to stay out there longer until she eliminates and praise like crazy when she does. That's for as long as it takes.

Yes, pups have tiny bladders. She won't learn anything except how to soil a crate unless she's taken out regularly, frequently and always after waking, eating, drinking or play. That takes a lot of supervison and hard work initially. Get it right straight away and the worst will be over in about two weeks. Get it wrong and you'll have another outside dog.

I recommend you read this link carefully Errorless Toilet Training

If you succeed in training this puppy, then you could try again with your older dog. He'll at least have better bladder control.

I strongly suggest you read this link & have a look around the rest of the site & use the search engine for any problems, advice you need. You can also search for training videos & listen to Ian Dunbar's radio programme i-woofs.

Wow a puppy that rings a bell :) You have one smart pup :rofl: Willow has yet to go a full 24hrs without going in the house, it can become a depressing sometimes but she will get it i'm hoping.

Stop hoping and start taking responsibiliity for the accidents. If she goes in the house its because you've not done enough to get her out when she needs to go. You need to understand that if she goes inside its YOUR fault, not hers. Every time she goes inside it reinforces the message that its OK to do it.

You've got one of the smartest breeds going and she WILL do the right thing once she understands what's expected of her. Its up to you to teach her. :(

What's depressing is the possiblity that she'll end up an outside dog through no fault of her own. :p

Thanks everyone for the tips and for your strong thoughts poodlefan, everyone's situation is different and just wanted some FRIENDLY advice. I think that there are plenty of outside dogs who are perfectly happy and not depressed and was just expressing my feeling at that moment. I do agree that it is my responsibility and we both are trying and in no way am i blaming her. Just wanted some tips to see if i was doing something wrong/right

Rule 1: NEVER let her loose in the house, even under supervision, unless she has just toileted outside.

Rule 2: Take her outside immediately when she wakes from a sleep, any time she sniffs around and when she is excited.

Rule 3: Keep her outside for at least half an hour after each meal.

Rule 4: Set up a puppy pen near the back door or arrange the laundry with newspaper on the floor and put her there when you cannot watch her directly.

Rule 5: NEVER leave her unsupervised in the house until you are sure she will let you know when she needs to go out.

Rule 6: Use a command word to get her to toilet on command. It saves a lot of waiting around.

Rule 7: Always praise her for going where you want her to.

You could try fencing off a small toilet area for her outside so that she will be separated from the other dog until she goes.

Borders are normally toilet trained in a couple of weeks but as she has been allowed to make mistakes in the house, and therefore trained to go in the house, it will probably be a much slower process as you are now having to re-train her.

The secret to quick and easy toilet training is to never let the puppy make a mistake.