Whelping Boxes....

leopuppy04

Just a question about what you use. It's been nearly 3 years since our first litter and when we had that litter I borrowed one from my breeder.

I think hers will be in use when our litter is due and given that I'll probably be having a few litters next year I think it's time to get my own :)

so did you buy yours, make yours, use a clam shell?!!?

If you made it - what are the dimensions etc? What do you use for heating (heating pad, heat lamps etc?!)? I might be able to get a friend to make for me.

I know that my breeders one was heated in itself, but I found that Kinta got quite hot in there - is it possible to get one where it's 1/2 heated so the bitch doesn't overheat but will stay with her puppies?!

Any advice, recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated :D

Breed: Great Dane

Size of whelping box: 1.8 x 1.5 mtr

Material: Melamine from Bunnings

Bottom of whelping box: None

Flooring: Carpet tiles, then a tarp followed by paper then vetbed/carpet

Cost of whelping box: $90 including brackets

Heating: Heat mat + Heat lamp - I like the heat lamp as it heats the air the puppies breathe in, heat mat just heats the puppies.

100_5157_1.JPG

100_6095.jpg

LP I bought a kit sandpit from Bunnings. It took about 10 minutes to put together and I then gave it a couple of coats of paint to seal it and make it easy to clean. It cost about $100 and we've now had 3 litters in it. It is 1m x 1.5m. The only downfall is that this litter of pups was able to climb out at about 2weeks as the sides are only about 15cm high.

I have a small heating pad set up in one corner for the first couple of weeks so the pups can seek it out if they are a bit cold, and that has worked well for us as puppies are inside our house anyway. I have the bed set up on a show mat doubled over, covered with thick layers of newspaper, and then vet bed or some other bedding on top of that at one end.

i used a heat lamp and was very happy with it. kept pups warm and Ari wasn't close to it. My whelping box is comparitively large.for my breed... but as it turned out it was quite handy as she did get quite hot and liked to move about. mine also had no floor like Sways and i used some vinyl, with carpet on top and then newspaper and vet bed (sheets/towels during whelping)

Mine are GSP's - bought a whelping box from http://hydrobaths.com.au

1.2m x 1.2m wouldn't have wanted any smaller for my breed, if I had a really large litter eg. 12+ I might have run into trouble. By the time pups could jump out they were ready to be able to go onto paper in a small pen. Very easy to clean, pig rails are good and love the removeable half door at the front. Just used newspaper in the bottom with vetbed (best invention EVER) in the bottom. I liked the greenback vetbed because it dried quicker after washing - my rubber stuff took a look longer to dry. My bitch doesn't dig though so I really didn't have problems with her pulling up the greenback. My whelping box was inside so mainly used in house heating - having a short coat breed I don't run into too many problems with mum getting hot, used hot water bottles for babies when mum was out - had no problems, they cuddled up to it and were just fine.

My hubby made ours...he made it out of melamine bought from Bunnings. Total cost about $80.00.

He made it 1m x1m x 40cm high...which is probably a little big for my breed, but it's a good thing he did make it a little bigger, as my bitch has had 2 very big litters.

I put a heat pad in the corner of it, I use a vet bed for bedding & the room they are in is heated too. :)

Leopuppy,

The heat lamp and stand I used came from a place that sold reptile supplies. It is an adjustable height stand and is also easily pivoted so I could alter how much heat they were getting by how high/low the lamp was and how far over the box I had it. The lamp itself is a ceramic globe that gives out no light but I think I would do the same as a friend and get 1 of the red 1s next time so when checking in the middle of the night you can see without turning the lights on.

I think I would do the same as a friend and get 1 of the red 1s next time so when checking in the middle of the night you can see without turning the lights on.

I use the red heat lamp for that reason, can see what is going on in the middle of the night without having to wake everyone up.

Gives everyone a nice red glow, but enough light to be able to see what is going on.

I also adjust mine up and down to get the heat right.

I use the out door red flood light.

Gives lots of warmth and easy on the pups eyes plus mums.

I just attach the lights socket to a piece of wood and attach that to the whelping box and you can direct the warmth where ever you want it.

• 1 month later...

Made from melamine with metal antichew railings 1200 x 1200 x 400 high used for Basset Hounds.

I use a heat lamp for the first couple weeks and then a heat pad.

whelpingbox2.jpg

whelpingbox1.jpg

pups3daysold008.jpg

Leanne

That set up looks brilliant. How much did it cost you (if you dont mind me asking?) What bedding have you used in that photo?

I'm tossing up whether we are better to make one or just buy one.

All up the box itself cost just under $100, far cheaper to make than by.

I had the place cut the timber to size as well so it was easier.

For bedding I use eggcup foam cut to size and then place it inside a single bed quilt cover, the cover is big enough to fold back over a couple times (keeping the foam dry). I pick up quilt covers from the op shops for $1-$2, the foam I bought from target ($32 for single bed size) and got a couple pieces for the box out of it.

Leanne